Preet Bharara was concerned by White House phone call, memo shows

Just a few days before he was fired after refusing to resign, former US Attorney Preet Bharara wrote a memo sharing his concerns about a phone call he received from the White House, BuzzFeed News reports.
Using the Freedom of Information Act, BuzzFeed was able to get an email on Thursday that Bharara sent on March 9 to then-deputy Attorney Joon Kim and Bharara’s chief counsel, Joan Loughnane, in order to “memorialize certain events of the day.” Bharara said he received a voicemail from Trump’s secretary, Madeline Westerhout, asking him to call her back. He checked with Kim about the “propriety of returning the call,” and reviewed copies of memos related to communications with the White House. He also spoke with Attorney General Jeff Sessions’ chief of staff, Jody Hunt, to discuss the request. Bharara decided it was inappropriate to speak with Trump and called Westerhout to tell her this. The next day, he was asked to resign, and after refusing, was fired on March 11.
Parts of the email were redacted, specifically the sections that revealed details pertaining to “intra-agency communications,” BuzzFeed reports. In an interview on This Week earlier this month, Bharara said it appeared Trump was “trying to cultivate some kind of relationship,” and it is a “very weird and peculiar thing for a one-on-one conversation without the attorney general, without warning between the president and me or any United States attorney who has been asked to investigate various things and is in a position hypothetically to investigate business interests and associates of the president.” Catherine Garcia

0
0